The 83 County Project
Remember the good old days when the national progressivesphere referred to Michigan as the juggernaut? We had dozens of bloggers doing some awesome field work. We had a watch-blog for every GOP Congressman and several very good local bloggers. (If I do say so myself ) Well it’s time for Michigan to reclaim our title.
So with great pride and excitement I’m announcing the 83 County Project. In short, the goal of the project is to develop a minimum of 2 local progressive bloggers in each county in Michigan. Local bloggers are the key to bottom-up politics and grassroots activism. We need more of them.
There are two primary goals of the 83 County Project. The first is to recruit, train, and mentor local bloggers. We’ll be reaching out to county organizations to establish relationships and identify those activists who are interested in blogging. From there we’ll offer the support and technical resources needed in order for the bloggers to thrive in the sphere.
The second goal is to build relationships in Lansing and DC to increase the relevance of the Michigan progressivesphere. We want to support our progressive legislators and help them get their messages out to the public. We also want them to hear us when we express concerns.
For interested bloggers, we can offer the following:
- A platform on which to blog (bloggingformichigan.com or bloggingformichigan.com/yourblog)
A custom url (www.yourdomain.com) & custom site our server
- tech support, site backups, etc.
- training on topics such as FOIA, press credentials, social media, etc.
- Sharing of information, leads, and other resources
- A community of kick-ass people to chat with
- …and a whole lot more !!
If you are interested in getting involved in blogging, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are already a blogger, or if you can’t take on blogging right now but you want to help, here are some of the things that we could use,
- established bloggers to help train and mentor the recruits
- access to organizations, parties, legislators, etc., so that we can assist with messaging
- Donations to help cover the costs of the project
This is a brand new project, and I’m open to suggestions on it. I’d love to hear your thoughts, questions, feedback, etc.
If you want to be part of the new juggernaut, click here to sign up.